The Five-storied Pagoda was built in 942 along with the Main Hall by military commander Taira no Kinmasa. Along with the other buildings, it has been successively lost to fire and subsequently reconstructed.
In 1648, Tokugawa Iemitsu rebuilt the pagoda in 1648 along with other structures including the Main Hall and Hozomon Gate. The government declared the pagoda a national treasure in 1911. However, it burned to the ground during the air raids of March 1945. After World War II, the temple buildings including the Main Hall, Kaminarimon Gate and Hozomon Gate were reconstructed with donations from the faithful around the nation. In 1973, the pagoda was also rebuilt, this time to include additional facilities such as a room for mortuary tablets. Relics of the Buddha (busshari) are kept on the top floor.