Komagatado Hall
According to Senso-ji Engi, a book chronicling the history of Senso-ji, on the early morning of March 18th, 628, two fishermen, Hinokuma Hamanari and his brother Takenari, were fishing in the Sumida River. Suddenly sensing something, they pulled up their net to find a statue of Bodhisattva Kannon. When Haji no Nakatomo, village headman of Asakusa, heard about this, he immediately realized that the object was a statue of the important Buddhist deity Bodhisattva Kannon. Taking vows as a Buddhist priest and re-making his home into a temple, he spent the rest of his life in devotion to Bodhisattva Kannon.
   Komagatado Hall stands on the spot where the statue of Bodhisattva Kannon was found-the spot that marks the origins of the temple. The hall's principle image is Bodhisattva Bato-kannon (a statue of Kannon with a horse's head). It is open for public viewing on the 19th of every month, when visitors are welcome to enter the building. There is also a major festival held every April 19th.
   Like the other buildings of the Senso-ji complex, Komagatado Hall has been repeatedly burned to the ground and reconstructed. It originally faced east, toward the Sumida River, but in 1742 it was rebuilt facing west instead, with the river to the rear. The current Hall was erected in November 2003. The area is tended daily by residents of the temple vicinity.
photo Komagatado Hall
Return to the Senso-ji map

Unauthorized use, including copying, of photos, illustrations, etc. used on this website is prohibited. Copyright 2008, Senso-ji. All rights reserved.